Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Other Part of My Life, Weightloss

Last year I decided to get healthy. I started a popular meeting type weight loss program and stayed on it for a total of 8 mos. After a very odd rollercoaster ride of losing and gaining, I weighed 9lbs more than my starting weight. It didn't take a genius to figure out it wasn't working, so I stopped. The problem was what was I to do now? So at 403 lbs I decided that gastric bypass was my only option. So in July I visited a bariatric surgeon and started the process. My surgeon relocated a few weeks later and a new partner came in. I was upset but trusted that God knew what He was doing, especially since I had prayed about surgery for 5 yrs. So I met with the new surgeon in November (there's lots involved in this process..nutritionist, psychologist, tests, etc.) and he wanted me to lose weight before surgery, I wanted to cry. Didn't he know that I had tried dieting and this is why I was here, it didn't work.  I was skeptical at best. I met with the new Bariatrician in November. He wanted me on a very low carb diet, I was to drink, drink, drink, and he put me on supplements and meds. Weight loss for me is complicated by PCOS...long story short I am insulin resistant and my body doesn't react to carbs like I would like for it too. My Bariatrician started me on metformin to treat the insulin resistance and help my weight loss. So with reservation I started my new lifestyle change. On Dec. 19th I had my first weigh in, I had lost 17 lbs total in less than a month. I have went from a size 30/32 to a 22/24. I am still amazed that I have been able to accomplish this much with out surgical intervention. Tomorrow is another weigh in with my primary care physician, I am still nervous even though I see indicators that I am losing and I know that I am doing what I should be. I am trying to look for non scale milestones. This helps keep me encouraged when I can't get to the scale. Finding new favorite foods helps too. I love lemonade and pickles, before losing I never drank or ate either. I have also learned what to avoid, sugar makes me extremely tired and yucky feeling, so I avoid it at all costs. I have learned that soda in any form makes me hungry, so I drink water and crystal light only. I cancelled all subscriptions to food related magazines and I never watch cooking shows on television. We tried the other night and after 10 minutes I would promise I was hungry, but prior to the show I was not, this is something I cannot handle so I stay away from it.  I am learning what my pitfalls are and what my body needs, and enjoying the journey as I discover a new me!

Things that help make losing weight easier:
My GNC Blender, great for protein shakes, smoothies, dressings.
Crystal Light in lots of flavors
Almond Milk, I seem to lose more with AM than with dairy milk.
Unjury Protein Shakes, vanilla and chocolate are my faves
Sugar Free Jello
My Bobble Water Bottle, it filters when I drink, I am never without it.




1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your first 17 pounds! I know how hard it is to lose weight and stay with it. Thanks for writing about this - most of us don't even want to mention the struggle. Your candid thoughts and suggestions are great. Keep up the good work!