Saturday, January 7, 2012

Brunch and Fun in the Kitchen

Today started out with a brunch of low carb breakfast casserole, toast (for the kiddies). And then we made homemade apple jelly. Jelly is one of those items that seems to disappear in this house, we cannot keep enough in stock. I only buy the high fructose free jelly so it is like $3.00 for an 8 oz. jar. I had to find a more cost effective way to provide jelly. So I took out my vintage cookbooks and looked for a jelly recipe. I found one using 3 ingredients: juice, pectin and sugar. Since I don't have fruit trees I bought 100% juice (concentrate) from the store, sugar and pectin. My one can of apple juice rendered 3 sixteen oz. containers of apple jelly, and it only cost our family $4.00. Why didn't I think of this sooner? The kids also love making these treats at home, they were all piled around the stove watching contentedly, whispering about how good our jelly would taste on sandwiches and toast, these are the things they will remember the rest of their lives.

*thaw apple juice, pour juice in a large pot, heated to a slow boil, added 4 cups of sugar, whisking until sugar was completely dissolved then in a small sauce pan I heated 3/4 c water, added 1 package of pectin, heated to a boil, let boil for 1 min. Added pectin mixture to the apple juice and sugar mixture, whisked until thoroughly mixed. Then ladled into 3 (16oz) Ball Freezer Jars. You let cool on table 24 hrs. then put in fridge. It will keep 3 weeks in fridge or you can freeze for up to 1 yr.

This afternoon we make clothes detergent!

3 comments:

DeAnna said...

You can also find these directions in the leaflet with the pectin.

Jenny said...

I make persimmon preserves out of free persimmons my father in lw gave us. It a es like marmalade and i gave it as Christmas gifts, and i processed pupkin and made it in my pies and bread and roasted the seeds.

DeAnna said...

That is awesome Jenny, I have never had persimmons but know that my mom and grandmother talked about them alot growning up....I may need to get a persimmon tree. Thank you for sharing!