Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What do you mean feeling out of place?

In yesterday's blog I mentioned that my first night home I felt out of place. It was true and unexpected.
It started because I didn't feel comfortable in my bed or on my furniture, the smell of food made me nauseous (my family had to eat) and that made me panic. Did I make a mistake coming home so early, what if having surgery was a mistake? Then that led to anxiety about the fact that I didn't know how to take care of my new pouch, how was I going to do this? All of a sudden everything I had learned all these months made no sense, because I never really thought of how applying it to myself would feel or how difficult  it would be, I really went into this thinking I was going to bounce back immediately, so far I was doing well but that was only 2 days down. I cried like a baby, and it made my stomach drop with a thud, I had 5 children and a husband who would eventually depend on me again and here I didn't know what to do with me.

Getting comfortable in bed was the first step and it helped calm most of the anxiety about the new me. I won't wait to tell you that the days since have been fabulous, not super easy but doable and when I use the tools that help me use my new pouch (ie: support group members, my surgeon, their office staff and my booklet) I get the answers I need to get things back on track. Using your resources is a very important step in this journey.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Keep us posted on you journey. Blogging may help release some of the tension.