Monday, March 26, 2012

THE Surgery and my homecoming.

I waited to write because everything seemed to happen at lightning speed. Donald and I went away for 3 days to enjoy some one on one time and attend a Jeremy Camp Concert (I love Jeremy Camp's testimony and the love he has for our Lord) before my bypass. It was a nice time reconnecting, enjoying a new town and meeting new friends.

The Tuesday after we got back I was scheduled for the bypass. The closer and closer I got the more anxious I became. I was confident in my surgical team, my weight loss team but I was terrified of something going wrong that no one could control and leaving my dear husband raising 5 children alone. We had prayed so hard for these children and I had waited so long to become a mother was I being careless? The answer in the end was no, I weighed 405lbs at the beginning of this journey. I had high blood pressure, PCOS, insulin resistance, and reflux. Not to mention it was hard finding seats at the local theater, people stared where-ever I went, which I know sounds vain but it was bothersome at best. I wanted a new life for myself. I wanted to have the energy to get through my days successfully. I didn't want to worry about diabetes, heart attack or stroke later in life. I also wanted to be the best wife and mother to my family and I just couldn't do that without radical weight loss. Back in November in preparation for my surgery I started seeing a doctor in my bariatric practice that specializes in weight loss in a healthy life changing way. By February I had lost 30lbs, this is something I had never been able to do. It was hard, I was enjoying my new eating plan and I felt better than ever. but in the back of my mind I kept asking "When is the PCOS and insulin resistance going to rear their heads and take this away from me? That is when I called and scheduled surgery. So no I didn't feel selfish or careless, but I wanted to be cautious.

So Tuesday morning we headed to the hospital for my 8am appt. Our Pastor arrived right as they took me back to pre-op, he was able to chat with us and pray with us. Then I went back got gowned for the surgery and they started IVs. I was relatively calm until after talking with my surgeon and the reality of my surgery set in, YIKES. I started crying and my surgeon came back in to talk with me and make sure I was okay and that there were no last minute questions or concerns I had...nope...I was just nervous....Then they whisked me back and in between my room in day surgery and the OR they gave me some great meds...because all I remember after that was maybe seeing the OR and a mask being placed on my face.....then I woke up to a male nurse telling me I was okay and that I was going to feel some pain (I was moaning because I had the worse stomach ache I had ever had and I wanted it to stop) then I fell back asleep or they gave me great meds and I woke up in my room to my family and Amber (our 15 yr old) rubbing my hand telling me she loved me.

I slept and woke in waves that first day. I do remember asking every time my eyes opened if I could go walking yet (what was I thinking....oh yeah Dr. Glass told me to walk as soon as I remembered our pre-op conversation). Thankfully I didn't have to walk until midnight that night and it was not bad or unbearable. I felt unsure of my feet but I had 2 nurses helping me down the hall. I made 2 laps that first time...and was at 8 laps by 8am when Dr. Glass made his rounds...he said I was a star patient...I think he was just encouraging me, but I took the complement.

That first 24 hrs ice chips were wonderful. I could only eat about 4 at a time but my mouth was dry and I was thirsty, they were great. My nurses kept a fresh cup within my reach at all times. Then at about 9am I was allowed to drink 1oz of protein every hour...it took me 25-30 mins to conquer my 1ox but I did it...I kept up with my ice chips all was going well.

Then at 4:30 Wednesday they said I could go home. Home???? I panicked, I have 5 kids how am I well enough to go home? I just had major surgery, the doctor said so himself. Surely I could stay. The nurse gave me the option of going home or staying before her 5:00 conference with Dr. Glass....in that 30 mins I had become uncomfortable in my chair and the bed was not any better. So I agreed to go home.

The ride home was uncomfortable, Donald took great care to not jostle me too much. However once we reached our drive way I felt like his truck had run me over. I was eager to get inside and get in my bed. My peace and contentment were shattered about 3 mins later. I couldn't sit or lay on our bed comfortably. The loveseat in our room was no better. My sister was over cooking dinner (which I now see as a sweet gesture) and I instantly became nauseous once food smells filled the house. I got snappy and started crying with everyone. I felt so bad, they had all been so great and here I was being mean. My daddy kneeled down beside me and empathized (he had heart surgery 2 years ago so he knew a thing or two about being uncomfortable) Donald and my mom chatted on the porch to let me get my bearings and in that time my mom came up with the idea of buying a "husband" for the bed. So off to wal-mart she and my dad went. My sister plugged away in the kitchen cooking and entertaining our children and hers, despite my hormonal episode, that is sisterly love. Once the husband was in place and pain meds administered I was comfortable and didn't feel as out of place.


No comments: