Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Redefining Frugal

Since Christmas things have changed drastically around our home food wise. We have 2 kids back on a full time gluten free diet. Our oldest daughter can no longer tolerate processed foods or school lunch due to severe reflux, and last but not least Donald and I are now on a low carb diet. So I am spending more on food than I ever have. With these changes have come huge amounts of guilt. I know that sounds strange since I am shopping for the good of my family. But when you go from spending $1.50 on a bag of pretzels to $6.35 for their gluten free counter parts, some guilt creeps up on you. Not to mention we are eating more protein than we used to, which is healthy and good for us but is also a little more expensive. So I haven't been posting a lot on the frugal end of things because our frugal has changed and I am playing around with things to see how we can get the budget down and still adhere to our new way of eating. We do eat 95% fresh fruit, veggies and lean meat, instead of always buying gluten free noodles and bread, cake mixes. I do splurge for the kids lunches since they need something portable and easy to eat for school.

No comments: