Friday, February 17, 2012

The lesson of 2 lbs.

So I am 3 months into my weight loss journey. It has been going great, until last week....I had weigh in last Friday and knew I had not done well. Not because I hadn't followed plan or worked out, I could just tell I wasn't losing, which in and of itself is invigorating because before this journey I never knew whether I had lost or gained. So I stepped on the doctor's scale and it showed a 2lb gain, A GAIN!!!! How could that be??? My doctor asked me to journal for a week, increased my medication for PCOS and insulin resistance. I went home in tears, after a very heartfelt pep talk from my doc. What had I done wrong? Was this going to be a failure like everything else I have tried? Should I quit and just learn to live with my weight? I wanted answers and wanted them immediately. I scoured the kitchen, reading labels and calculating tsps of sugar in every thing. I asked my husband if he knew of any thing that I was doing wrong, he was clueless and so was I. So against my norm I decided to give journaling a good shot not just a half hearted try. I started on Saturday and on Sunday I discovered a change in our almond milk. We had been buying unsweetened and somehow original had been bought by mistake and I use that every morning (unsweetened has like 1g of sugar original has like 7g) so we immediately changed back. I also noticed that I wasn't drinking as much water as I had in the beginning so I drank even when I wasn't thirsty. And I kept journaling. Today I went for the one week weigh in and I had lost 5 lbs, I couldn't believe that these two missteps were to blame for a gain. And obviously my body needed a higher dose of my metformin.

However, I am glad it happened. This week I learned a few things about myself. I learned that I really want this weight loss, more than I have ever wanted anything, and I don't mind working for it. Even when things are bleak and the outcome is less than perfect. I learned that if we quit when we hit a small bump in the road (my doc's words not mine, it felt like a HUGE mountain in the road to me) we will never get anywhere and will always fail. Last but not least I now know when my body is gaining for the first time ever. So I thank the Lord for my 2 lb gain, it sure taught me more than  I could have ever imagined. And I think that it will lessen the blow when my body decides to plateau, I will know that "this too shall pass".

No comments: