Thursday, August 29, 2013

A lesson on heart attitude.

Today our youngest A was home from school with a fever and summer cold. She was such a chatty little thing but one thing that stuck out to me was she kept saying "Jack and the Bean Stalk" at the weirdest times. I dismissed it as just little girl silliness. Our oldest A took her back to do homework and then comes to me to share with me that littlest A was using "Jack and the Bean Stalk" as a stand in for a naughty phrase she is not allowed to say. While I was preparing my mom speech and praying about how to approach this with her, God promptly convicted my heart. How many times does He call me to refrain from something but I just replace it with something that I feel is more acceptable but equally as damaging? God cares about our heart attitude. When littlest A was replacing her naughty phrase with the more acceptable phrase her heart was still repeating the naughty phrase. Her heart attitude had not changed, sin was still present, just covered.

 O God, You know my foolishness; and my sins are not hidden from You. —Psalm 69:5

Daniel 9:3 - And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:

We are to set our faces unto the Lord, or focus on Him and spend time with Him to truly change our heart attitude. When we spend time with the Lord and His word and let it flood our home and hearts this will dictate our heart attitude and keep us focused on what is right.

 Proverbs 14:34 - Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin [is] a reproach to any people.

No comments: