Saturday, January 4, 2014

Hold them close, and they will reciprocate.



Our youngest is a very wise, funny child. She is always sharing her heart whether we want to or need to hear it or not. Sometimes she moves me to tears and humbles me beyond belief, tonight was one of those nights. I was in the middle of our local grocery store finishing up the weekly shopping. My cell phone rings, on the other end is my sweet-pea. She is crying, she wants her Mommy (she is home with her big sister who is babysitting for me). She asks where I am, when I tell her she brightens and then says "Mommy that means you will be home in 10 minutes". I told her I would finish up as quick as I could and I would be home. Well, it took much longer than 10 minutes, the phone goes off again. Again it is "Sweet-pea". She tells me that she is really sleepy and she is afraid that she is going to fall asleep before I get home to cuddle. She tells me that she just wants me to put my arms around her and never let go and to hold her with my voice. In that moment it becomes real that she needs me, she enjoys having me close. I feel the security that I bring to her and I pray that I never do anything to damage the closeness that she and I share. Hold your children tightly, soothe them, comfort them....all too soon they will be spreading their wings, trying out their newly found independence. Nurture the relationship that will always keep them close to you even when they are physically far away.

No comments: